Fasting -Spiritual Discipline
This week the spiritual discipline will be Fasting.
“Fasting reveals the things that control us.…We are not so much abstaining from food as we are feasting on the word of God. Fasting is feasting!”- Richard J. Foster
• Fasting is the voluntary denial of food for the sake of intense spiritual activity.
• Fasting is not to lose weight—not for vanity.
• Fasting makes us more keenly sensitive to the whole of life, so that we do not become obsessed with our consumer mentality.
• We learn as much about the Discipline of fasting through our failures to be able to follow through with fasting as through our successes.
• Fasting reminds us of our need to live dependently upon God